Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Your Baby Can Read



My son from a young age, has shown such a interest in words and numbers.  Always trying to read things..  studying my keyboard letters.  I was sooo thrilled to come across the program "Your Baby Can Read".  At first I was a sceptic.. let me tell you! lol  But after receiving the entire reading packet, and having my kids use the DVDs, books, and flashcards for 3 weeks now.. I am utterly sold on this foundational way of teaching your children to really read, and comprehend what they read. 

My daughter is 16 months old and my son is 4 1/2.   I started them both off on the first set DVD, flashcards, and word books.  This first set last 1 month.  However, my son past this part up very quickly and became increasingly bored lol  So I went ahead and started him on the next DVD set.  Which will also last one month.  

Dr. Robert Titzer, the creator of "Your Baby Can Read" recommends that you limit your children's TV/Movie watch or eliminate it completely while they are learning to read.  Which makes sense to me.. because how can "school work" compete with Sponge Bob lol    

Things I have observed:  

My son (4 1/2) is reading everything he can.  I have noticed him trying to read books more by himself.  Correcting me if I read a word wrong lol  Types words on the computer.  Tells me type a word by spelling it to me.  

My Daughter (16 months):  Her communication skills in the last few weeks have exploded since starting "Your Baby Can Read".  She incorporates the words she has learned during the day.  She now says "UP" when she wants me to pick her up.  (which was one of the words on her flashcards).  When she sees the word DOG (not hears but sees) she says "ruff ruff".   When the word CLAP flashes on the screen...she claps.  She follows directions.  She also starting walking in the last few weeks like a crazy woman.  Now I am not saying that walking is attributed to the reading program lol but it's funny how she has just exploded with all these skills.  

All in all, after merely three weeks I am more than pleased with the progress my kids are making with this program.  I really urge you to check this program out.  I found a million different places you can purchase the program from, however the main site has little videos that explain a little more about the program..and give adorable examples of babies 9 months reading.  It really is amazing.  Check out "Your Baby Can Read" HERE!


3 comments:

Kim H. said...

Wow - that's very cool! No children yet for me, but I'll be checking this out when we do!

Sandra said...

Thanks for giving your opinion on this. I saw a Your Baby Can Read infomercial and was amazed. I'll be seriously considering this for our children. Thanks again!

Sandra

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Thanks for sharing..I had heard about this on tv but never heard a real testimonial from anyone.

:)

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: