Thursday, May 21, 2009

Aloha Friday!

An Island Life is hosting Aloha Friday.. I thought it would be fun to participate. All you have to do is answer the question I ask by leaving a comment. Then click over to An Island Life and link up to Aloha Friday with your own question!

My Question:
Here is a snippet of President Obama's speech today.
Let me begin by disposing of one argument as plainly as I can: we are not going to release anyone if it would endanger our national security, nor will we release detainees within the United States who endanger the American people. Where demanded by justice and national security, we will seek to transfer some detainees to the same type of facilities in which we hold all manner of dangerous and violent criminals within our borders - highly secure prisons that ensure the public safety. As we make these decisions, bear in mind the following fact: nobody has ever escaped from one of our federal "supermax" prisons, which hold hundreds of convicted terrorists. As Senator Lindsey Graham said: "The idea that we cannot find a place to securely house 250-plus detainees within the United States is not rational."  You can read it's entirety here!
How do you feel about bringing the terrorist from Guantanamo to the United States Prisons?

My Answer:
Oh my goodness.. what is good about this?  Who cares if no one ever has escaped our "SuperMax" Security Prisons!  I feel like we are asking for trouble of all kinds by bringing these terrorist to our soil.  It doesn't make sense.. and I smell something very fishy.

15 comments:

Anissa said...

I feel the same way you do! Our prison are over crowed as it is.

Amy and her little family said...

I completely agree! Even if he doesn't escape, troubles WILL arise. I'm trying VERY hard to support our Commander and Chief, but boy is it hard!! Sorry if you're an Obama supporter.

Heather, aka Jake's Mommy said...

I think our whole prison system needs any overhaul as it is. But, Gitmo did have a lot of negative attention. I think the president should have concentrated on straightening things out there, instead of bringing more prisoners into our already overcrowded systems.

East Coast Wahine said...

I have to agree with Jake's Mother on this one!

TheAngelForever said...

Sadly, I do not think that there is a right answer for this. Either way there are pros and a lot of cons. It took us many years (more than the last 8) to get us into the mess we are in and it will likely take many more presidents to help fix it.

Kari said...

To be honest, I'm not a fan of any of Obama's "plans or ideas". It scares me to see the direction in which he is leading our country. I think moving them to our prison system is a big mistake.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

kiddiescorner said...

I think its crazy. And I agree with all of you. We are way crowded as is hmmm... I don't know!

I am Harriet said...

Nobody wants them. Not even their own countries from what I've heard.

Becca said...

I don't agree with closing Guantanamo but I have no authority so.....

Sawatzky family said...

I think it would be a HUGE mistake!

AudreyO said...

I truly can't imagine how any good can come of this.

Upstatemomof3 said...

I think the who Guantanamo situation is a mess!!!! No I don't really want them here, but where do they go?

Jennifer said...

There is not a correct answer to this question. A mess was created a long, long time ago and needs to be fixed. We have the luxury of not knowing what they know. How am I to judge when I do not have all the facts in front of me? Precious few do and I place my faith in God and my government (regardless of whether there is a democrat or republican in office). I do have faith that this decision is not being made lightly.

otin said...

What is the difference where we hold them? Either way they are in our custody. Some radical islamist will last about 3 weeks in a supermax before he is shanked!

Heart of Rachel said...

I think that the thought of having terrorist in one's country is quite alarming. I hope that the transition will be peaceful.

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: