Friday, May 8, 2009

The Biggest Loser Diet & Eating Tips!

The Biggest Loser's Top Diet Tips

By: Jillian Michaels 

Jillian Michaels's Top Tips for Diet and Fitness Beginners

  • Educate yourself about yourself. You need to know about you and your individual psychology. In other words, why are you eating so much? You need to know how to do the work. In other words, recognizing the emotional triggers, modeling the behavior, understanding what sabotages you and learning how to deal with it. So, first of all, get to know yourself.
  • Educate yourself about diet. And buy a book. (Buy my book.) That's what I did. I have read every book on the market. What I try to do with my book is say to people, "Okay, listen to me: There is no one-size-fits-all approach to weight loss."
  • Educate yourself about carbohydrates. There are good carbs, and there are bad carbs. Know which are which and eat the good ones. For instance, whole grain breads are better than those made with white flour. And you have got to know what your DMR is. What's your active metabolic rate? How many calories are you burning from your exercise routine?
  • Find a middle ground. Don't be super, super good because ultimately, you're going to fall off the wagon and go to the opposite extreme. Let go of the word diet, and build a lifestyle that fits you ‑- metabolically, biochemically (meaning what kind of food you need) and psychologically (meaning what kind of food you're not going to give up) ‑- and build it on middle ground. I'm not going to give up chocolate. I love it. And for me, psychologically, I need to give myself 200 calories every day of a treat, and I work it into my calories.


  • Recognize & Stop Emotional Eating

    By: Jillian Michaels 

    Jillian shared her steps to recognizing and overcoming emotional eating.

  •  When you think you're hungry, you need to stop yourself right off the bat as you're going for the fridge. Just learn to stop yourself and ask yourself in that moment, "Am I even hungry?"
  • Evaluate: Is your stomach growling? Do you feel weak? Are you tired? When was the last time you ate? Was it three or four hours ago? Ask yourself those questions. The first thing to do is write down, "Okay, I'm hungry." On a scale of 1 to 10, I want you to ask yourself, "How hungry am I?" Are you a 5, are you a 1, are you a 10 (10 being the hungriest)?
  •  Now, next step, I want you to write down ‑- if, in fact, you're not hungry, and you've eaten an hour or two ago ‑- what's going on for you emotionally. Take a look ‑- explore yourself and your feelings. What's going on? "Well, you know what, I'm anxious, man." "We have layoffs at the office." "I'm going through a breakup." Identify the emotion and what's going on inside of you.
  •  The next step is, now that you've recognized it, you need to face it in order to conquer it. So now you've got to look at this and ask yourself, "Can this issue be resolved in the now?" Do you have the ability to deal with it? Did you have a fight with your mom? Can you call her and rectify it? Yet sometimes life just sucks, man. Maybe, you know, your dog died. Who knows, sometimes things just suck.
  • If you're at that point where you can't resolve the issue, you need to find ways of nurturing yourself and pampering yourself that are not food related. Know yourself. Do you collect stuff? Do you like to go on eBay and thrift shop? What are your hobbies? Put together a family album. Write your memoirs. Do stuff that's incompatible with self-destruction and that will help. That's why a lot of the contestants on the ranch ‑-, when they were working out so hard and taking such good care of themselves ‑- often, I think, didn't eat enough because they begin to associate eating with being self-destructive.
  •  At the end of the day, here's also what I would say: Sometimes, you know what, sometimes it just doesn't work. Make a healthier choice. Have air-popped popcorn, not Cheetos. Have sugar-free Popsicles for 25 calories instead of Ben and Jerry's. When all else fails, make a healthier choice.


  • These two articles are both excerpts taken from Your Total Health site.

    No comments:

    A little about me...



    It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

    In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

    I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

    There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

    So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

    My Weight Progress: