Monday, July 20, 2009

Yummy Recipe



Deep-Fried Beef Chimichangas











For the chimichangas:
12 large flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 liter vegetable or canola oil

For the ground beef filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, sliced
3 pounds ground beef
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons celery salt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Special equipment: Wooden skewers or round toothpicks

Lay out tortillas and sprinkle about 1/8 cup cheese on each. Begin heating vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in deep-fryer.

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute onion until translucent. To this pan, add ground beef, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, celery salt, and salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Divide meat mixture into equal amounts in the pan. Then using a slotted spoon to leave excess liquid behind, transfer meat mixture to the center of each tortilla and fold the tortilla into a closed packet and secure using a wooden skewer or round toothpicks. Deep fry chimichangas until golden brown. (Alternatively, you can skip the deep frying step altogether by arranging the chimichanga packets on a baking sheet and bake until cheese melts and tortillas begin to firm up, about 5 to 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees F oven.) Remove skewers/toothpicks before serving.


This recipe is so incredible. I saw this on the food channel. It looks difficult at first..but it didn't take me long at all. I actually did not have tomato paste on hand grrrr so I substituted Tomato Sauce instead. Turned out just fine. As you can see, I topped it off with Sour Cream, Salsa, and Green Jalapeno sauce, and a side of beans. My husband said that he could hardly eat two because they were so filling. This is now going to be on my permanent "have to make" list. lol

I know this is cheesy since I posted this recipe here almost a year ago.. however, this is all I have right now.. lol

MckLinky Blog Hop



8 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Just blog hopping tonight and found yours. Sounds fabulous...
I have enjoyed reading it.. I love seeing all the different blog designs. Have a great week.
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Ave said...

This looks so good. Thanks for sharing!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Hmmmm! I love chimichangas... I have to admit, that whenever we go to a Mexican restaraunt...I almost always order the chimichanga! On a rare "daring-gotta-try-something-different" whim, I pick something else...but inevitably, feel a teeny-tiny regret at not getting my tried and true favorite!haha

Thanks for sharing!!!

Blessings!

also just became a follower :o)

if you take a peek at my blog, please let me know with a comment that you came by...

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Ohmygoodness! We love Mexican food...and those look SUPER yummy!

Alicia W. said...

YUM! This sounds delish. Thanks so much for the recipe because I will for sure be trying it out. :)

Angela said...

Yum! I wish I could eat that!

LucieP said...

ooh my mouth is watering!!

Josie said...

Oh yum! That sounds great!!! I am your newest follower- come by and check my blog out too! http://raisingbabycheap.blogpsot.com

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: