Thursday, February 18, 2010

Aloha Friday - Is Music Amoral?

An Island Life is hosting Aloha Friday. I thought it would be fun to participate. All you have to do is answer the question I ask by leaving a comment. Then click over to An Island Life and link up to Aloha Friday with your own question!

My Question:

Do you think Music is Amoral?

Definition:

a·mor·al

2.
having no moral standards, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.

  1. Not admitting of moral distinctions or judgments; neither moral nor immoral.

    1. Lacking moral sensibility; not caring about right and wrong.


My Answer:

I have been thinking about this question for quite some time, for years in fact.. A long time ago, a gentleman told my father that he believed Music was Amoral. Meaning that music really doesn't affect you..and can't be bad or good. Basically if you like it then it's good.

When I was younger...things were different. There was more of a respect for right and wrong.. more of a respect for our elders. For Laws.. For the Bible.. For each other.

Music.. is interesting.. As much as we would like to say that Music is not right or wrong.. or have any good or bad affect .. we would be kidding ourselves. Is there bad music? Sure. Is there good music? Of course. Music is powerful. Music can control our emotions.. can dictate.. our actions (at times). So does it matter what you listen to? I think it does. I think everything you choose to do in your life..reflects you. Your heart.

As a mother, I look around at things and realize how far America has fallen down this slide "everything goes". If it feels good then it is right, mentality.

As a Christian nation.. we should be founded on the absolutes. We should teach our children what is right and what is wrong. Even music.. has it's place. Thank you for all your comments last week.. I really appreciate all your kind and encouraging comments about my father and niece.





Add to Technorati Favorites

13 comments:

Kelly L said...

I could not agree with you more.. Before I was a parent I did not believe in censorship - but now having a teen and preteen and really listening to the lyrics of "today's songs". It's scary..

Love to you
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Design it Chic said...

i believe music can be both, good or bad! I admit that most of the lyrics are fallen worse and worse into the sexuality-suicidal-horror side, and that's when music stops being fun! Now it's up to any individual to choose what message he'll be listening to, or in case of young teenagers, it's all up to the way they were raised and what they're becoming out of it! But i still think that there are some teenagers that are leading a messed up lifestyle, and music affects them more than anybody would think! Bottom line, we barely have quality anymore!
Happy Friday and here's my Aloha!

Baba said...

I would say no because music can certainly move people in one direction or another, can uplift their spirits, or make them sad. Music by itself is amoral but when you add words conveying ideas then no because it becomes something else.

Auntie E said...

By all means Music soothes and fires the soul. therefore it is NOT Amoral. Some time ago there was a great up roar about Slam and Rap Music, and rightly so. It caused violence and destruction. In the 60 with have Flower power, Make love not war. It caused a generation of Free love (non marriage, Living together, children out of wedlock and Drugs became the normal in their society). All this from the lyrics and tone of Music.
Here's my Aloha Friday link for you

Joyful said...

I definitely agree with you. Music does effect us. The tune as well as the lyrics. If I'm feeling rather up I like to listen to Christian music with an up beat. If I'm feeling rather mellow I find music for that also. Sometimes I just turn the radio off and enjoy the peace of silence and communing with God.

Kristen Andrews said...

i think it can be, but there is so much good music out there that makes up for all of the bad

Twincerely,Olga said...

hi! first,I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and your neice!!!HUgs to you~
I beleive music has a very Large affect on us!!!Aloha

Twincerely,Olga said...

I love you blog header very peaceful!!! Will be back to donate!!

TheAngelForever said...

When I became a teacher/parent I really started to listen to lyrics and could not believe my ears. As a non-Christian I also think there are boundaries of right/wrong that are being pushed by many songs today.

shopannies said...

I think that music does affect a person in one way or another.

Upstatemomof3 said...

I would say it depends on the song/music in question. Some music is certainly wrong. I'm not sure that any of the music we hear on the radio is necessarily right. There might be some music that is more right and some of it can certainly be amoral but I certainly would not say that all of it is. I am very careful about what I listen to around my kids because of the content in music these days.

Krissi said...

Music can be a loy of things but what it is mostly is an artistic expression. We all have a choice whether to listen to it or not. It definitely has the power to alter your mood, thoughts, and entire identity if you let it.

kailani said...

I think music can definitely move you. For me, I can hear a song on the radio and it will take me back to a specific time in the past along with all the emotions that went with it.

I don't believe in censorship but I do believe that we have to be careful of what our kids are listening to.

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: