Thursday, February 11, 2010

Aloha Friday - Only One Life.. So Soon it Will Pass..


An Island Life is hosting Aloha Friday. I thought it would be fun to participate. All you have to do is answer the question I ask by leaving a comment. Then click over to An Island Life and link up to Aloha Friday with your own question!

My Question:


My Dad asked me a question a few weeks ago...that I didn't quite know how to answer... His question: "If you had 2 to 4 years left to live.. what would you do with your life?" You can read my post here to see why Dad asked me this question.

So I will pass this question on to you...


My Answer:

My answer then.. wasn't very structured. And even now.. it's hard to seriously prioritize a life.. picking and choosing what would be more important.. One of the things I told my Dad that day was.. that I think for me.. I might have a few things that I might want to do .. but I think my list would never end. I would find something else.. that I would want to do or see.. or experience.


Probably the most important thing to me would be to spend time with my family.. my husband and kids. Be the woman that God wants me to be.



When I was young, my mother sang a song called "Only One Life". Besides my Mother having an amazing voice, the words to this song have always pierced my heart. Take a moment to read them...

Only One Life

It matters so little
How much you may own
The places you've been
Or people that you know
For it all comes to nothing
When placed at His feet
It's nothing to Jesus
Just memories to me


You can take all the treasures
From far away lands
And take all the riches
you can hold in your hands
And take all the pleasures
Your riches can buy
But will it help
When it's your time to die

CHORUS
Only one life
So soon it will pass
Only what's done for Christ will last
Only one chance to do His will
So give to Jesus all you days
It's the only life that pays
When you recall
You have but one life


The days pass so swiftly
The months come and go
The years melt away
Like new falling snow
Spring turns to summer
Then summer to fall
Autumn brings winter
Then death come to all

CHORUS
Only one life
So soon it will pass
Only what's done for Christ will last
Only one chance to do His will
So give to Jesus all you days
It's the only life that pays
When you recall
You have but one life

When you recall
You have but one life




Add to Technorati Favorites

17 comments:

*Msslaydbug* said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I'll be sure to return. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and niece. I don't have an answer about what I would do with my life. I would really need to sit down and prioritize. i would probably spend much more quality time with my family doing things we enjoyed. Also creating lasting memories for them when I would be gone. Your family is in my prayers. I've also just started my weight loss journey. Come visit soon !

Natalie A. said...

My prayers are sent to your family! You are such a positive person!
I would spend alot more time with family! That is important to me! I'd really have to think about that question some more!

Teresa said...

This is also my first time visiting your site! I am so touched by your post and love the song! I would really want to make sure that I spent time around my friends and daughter. I would want her to know how much I love her and care for her.

Design it Chic said...

I'm sending prayers to your family knowing that Lord is in control!
I love the song you put out there and it's really profound!
If i would have just 2-4 years left to live i would put everything i am into my family and i would make sure to prepare them for my leaving!

TheEclecticElement said...

Wow, that's is such a hard road that you and your family are on-Chronic illness basically changes everything in a person's life.

Your questions is a hard one-There are so many things to be done in a person's life that even in the span of their lifetime they wouldn't get it all done!

I guess you just have to go with what you would want most out of everything. I think I would want to move to Ireland and live out the last 2 to 4 years peacefully in a small cottage by the ocean just working on my crafts and pondering life.

Have a wonderful Friday :)

Baba said...

I would think of a way to thank all the people who have touched my life.

Brian Miller said...

i would spend it touching as many lives as i could...

Kristen said...

Still praying girlie. That's an awesome question. You know...I'm going to have to get back to you on that. Boy...you've got me thinking hard at 7:30 in the morning! ;-)

~ Noelle said...

sorry you are dealing with so much. you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers...
as for your question, i would live it to the fullest

MadeInCanarias said...

I would spend more time with my family and travel.

Auntie E said...

I really do not know. that my Honest answer.
Here's my Aloha Friday link for you

Sarah said...

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for you and your family Tara!

I'm not sure what I would do specifically, but I do know that I would spend every possible moment with my friends and family.

Upstatemomof3 said...

I am answering this before I read the post on why he asked. I'm not sure why I feel that is important to tell you but I do. Anyway, I would want to spend as much time as possible with my family. I would very much like to go back to Ethiopia. I want to take a trip to Egypt and to Rome so I would probably do that with my family. But mostly I would just like to spend time with my family and enjoy my time with them.

JamericanSpice said...

I definitely know that I would try to open my heart more to my husband.

Try to open a relationship path with my sister.

Get somewhere permanent for my mother so she doesnt worry so much about her next meal, roof etc.

And find the time to listen to God more.

That's such an interesting question.

I feel these things in my heart and know that I"m workign on them even now, but they would be pressing then.

I am trying to figure out the tune of this song because I feel for sure that I know it.

It's a lovely song of reminder.

Thanks for sharing.

Vince | UPrinting said...

If i have 2 t0 4 years to live. I will spend my remaining years with my wife and my daughter.Because they are the most important person in my life.

Davon Jacobson, Md said...

This is a wonderful question to post to those who feel as though they have lost their way in life. As far as I am concerned, I will agree with you and spend a lot more time with my family. I just noticed the beginning of this year how much time I spend in my private practice. I have devoted myself to spending more time with the kids and less time at the office. Keep up the great work with your blog. Please stop by my health blog sometime. The web address is http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com/.

Anonymous said...

I too am sending prayers your way for you and your family. God will see you through so just continue to enjoy being with your father knowing you are blessed to have him in your life.

SamneneD@aol.com

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: