Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aloha Friday - Too Young?

An Island Life is hosting Aloha Friday. I thought it would be fun to participate. All you have to do is answer the question I ask by leaving a comment. Then click over to An Island Life and link up to Aloha Friday with your own question!

My Question:


Do you think teaching Sex Ed to 5 years old is too young?

This is what is being debated:


The proposal lays out what students should be taught in each grade level starting with kindergarten.

  • At that age, kids will learn about reproductive body parts including their scientific names.
  • In first grade, they will be taught that a person can love someone of the same gender.
  • In fifth grade, kids will learn about different kinds of intercourse and a more in-depth look at sexual orientation.
  • In high school, they will be taught that erotic images in "art" help people understand sexuality.

You can read more here


My Answer:


YES! Way Way Way to young! My job as the parent to decide when to introduce something of this nature to my children. We know that a child's brain is not fully developed until after the age of 18. The reasoning part of the brain. So when you educate or indoctrinate children especially something of this nature, do you really think that once introduced that the reasoning part of their brain is actually going to help them?

I know my parents explained things when the time was right. However, much of what they are teaching children now I didn't learn until I was in my 20's. And I can't tell you how thankful I am. Sometimes, things you don't know as a child is for the sake of protection. It is our job as parents to protect, yes, even shield our children.


Not So Perfect - http://weightingforperfection.blogspot.com/


Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

JamericanSpice said...

I don't think the school should teach this to my child at any age. I am their parent and should share this information with them.

I will want the option to have my baby opt out of this crap.

Becca said...

I think 5 is too young. I started in school at 10 or 11 and that was a fine age. Kids at 5 can't even process that kind of information!

~ Noelle said...

whoa
way to young in my opinion...
what happened to letting the parent make those decisions?

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: