Thursday, August 12, 2010

Aloha Friday - When Your Best Isn't Good Enough...


An Island Life is hosting Aloha Friday. I thought it would be fun to participate. All you have to do is answer the question I ask by leaving a comment. Then click over to An Island Life and link up to Aloha Friday with your own question!


My Question:


What Would You Do if you saw two small children alone with no adult supervision?

Story:

We went to a fast food the other day, and 2 boys were sitting by themselves in a booth. One was a baby around 10 months old holding his bottle sitting in his car seat. The other was around 7 years old just walking around.

We were there around 30 minutes and no one really came out and took care of them. At another table sat a Mother and Child. This mother called the police. The police came and talked to the 7 year old asking where his mommy and daddy were. The answer was his mommy worked in the back with the hamburgers and his daddy worked at Outback.

The police had to call the Mother of the children out..and talk to her. I am not sure what the end result was because we left.


My question.. What would you do in this situation? Would you call the police? or Would you do nothing?


My Answer:

Obviously, this is a case by case basis. But if I felt the children were in danger I would definitely call for help. I am a mother that Loves my children and never lets them out of my sight.

I think the woman that called the police did the right thing. I know it wasn't easy for her. She was clearly upset. She said she was just worried that someone might come and take the children.

It is difficult to know sometimes.. when it is right to do something. But even if the Parents of these children were doing the best they could bringing their kids to work, sometimes.. unfortunately our best is not good enough.

Not So Perfect - http://weightingforperfection.blogspot.com/


11 comments:

Baba said...

I would gather them to me and call the police to make sure they were safe and got to where they should be.

Jess said...

Wow! You know I have been a single mom before (not that this lady was) after I divorced my ex & he did nothing to help but there is NO way I would take my children to work to sit in the hallway while I did my job. Just no way, that is complete neglect in my eyes. I would have called the police.

The Social Frog said...

I would have to alert someone. In todays society kids get taken often and if people looked around more often maybe we could save a few!

Dee said...

i probably would not have called the cops-but asked the 7 year old or someone that worked there. I think that is HORRIBLE that the mother had to leave her kids up there while she worked. I guess she had no other means. BUT if you were there for 30 min and never saw anyone come take care of them-thats pretty crappy too.

mommablogsalot said...

I think in that situation I would have maybe asked management first, but I definitely don't think they were out of line to call the cops - 10 months old(ish) is too young to be left unattended for 30 minutes especially in a public place!

Whimsical Creations said...

I would have done the same thing by calling the police or at least asked to speak to a manager of the restaurant.

I am Harriet said...

I hate seeing that and it seems to happen way too much!

Have a great Friday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/08/when-is-it-time-to-move-on/

Shelly said...

I would definitely let somebody know! What a shame.

Hope you'll stop by my post & enter my Back-to-School Kit giveaway from Seventh Generation.

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2010/08/aloha-friday-back-to-school.html

LadyBug-Kellie said...

I definitely would have let either the Police or the Managers know. i wouldn't have left until i knew someone was taking care of it and was watching them.
I'd rather make a big deal out of nothing than risk anything going wrong. Great question!

JamericanSpice said...

It's hard to judge this mother trying to feed her babies, but yes I would call hte police. The children needs protecting.

~ Noelle said...

hard to tell..
but more than likely, i would have called the police...
i just hate that... it makes me sad

A little about me...



It is that time again!!!! I am thinking of attempting to lose weight for the 100 millionth time. haha. This time I know it will work :)

In November of 2007, I gave birth to my second child, a C-Section. Not only did that put me back physically, but I also developed high blood pressure. I am only 29. Talk about discouraging.

I started gaining weight in highschool. Seems to have followed me everywhere. My ultimate goal is to lose 120 lbs but I'll settle for 10 right now. haha.

There is absolutely no reason why I cannot succeed in this weight loss endeavor. I have exercise equipment. I guess that means I have to use it. Also, I am going to attempt the Carbohydrates Addict Diet. I have had some success with this in the past.

So I am thinking, with putting my progress out for the world to see.. it will force me to make the right choices. Let's hope!! Feel free to comment on anything or tell your story. It's always encouraging to hear about others successes. Join me on this weight loss journey...

My Weight Progress: